About two months ago I watched “Slumdog Millionaire” by myself. I know, I’m a little behind times. Anyway, after watching it I was horrified and saddened by the poverty that these people in Indian (and other places) live in. It brought about a discussion between Jeff and I on what is our part in ending poverty; or at least helping.
So, I posted my question on Facebook. I said, “I wonder how we can end poverty in the world.” Some of the replies were thought provoking while others I disagreed with. Two replies have stood out to me (one of which I’ll hit on today and the other comment at another time) and caused further discussion between Jeff and me and some friends. One reply was, “Sorry but I don't think it is possible (to end poverty) nor do I think it should be a priority. What matters most is people finding Jesus, not how much food, clothing, money they have.” Wow. This kind of blew me away. Is it true that my only concern for these people’s well being is that they only know Jesus? And after they’ve accepted him I move on to the next person?
A good friend of Jeff’s works for World Vision and we had this discussion with him. He mailed a book to Jeff and I that I’ve been reading this week. The book entitiled “The Hole in the Gospel” by Richard Stearns (president of World Vision) touches on this very statement/question in the first chapter. He says, “It (the Great Commission) was about saving as many people from hell as possible – for the next life. It minimized any concern for those same people in this life. It wasn’t important that they were poor or hungry or persecuted, or perhaps rich, greedy, and arrogant; we just had to get them to pray the “sinner’s prayer” and then move on to the next potential convert” (pg. 17). He goes on to say that “there is a real problem with this limited view of the kingdom of God; it is not the whole gospel. Instead, it’s a gospel with a gaping hole.” This hole referring to the view that our job is to preach the good news, make sure people accept it, and then move on to the next convert.
I don’t think that that is what Christianity is about. Stearns says that “God’s love was intended to be demonstrated, not dictated. Our charge is to both proclaim and embody the gospel so that others can see, hear, and feel God’s love in tangible ways.” And yes, I do agree with the post on facebook that people do need Jesus, but I disagree that I shouldn’t also care that they live in poverty, that they may have unclean drinking water, that they can’t afford to feed their family. Jesus didn’t just come to earth to preach the good news and get people “saved.” He also healed the sick, made the blind man see, released the oppressed (Luke 4), binded up the brokenhearted (Isaiah 61), gave food to the hungry. He showed us with his own actions that He not only cares for our spiritual well-being but also for our physical well-being.
Which leads back to my question of what’s my part? Jeff and I have talked about adopting. This would help one child and perhaps give some money to a country in need. We sponsor a child through World Vision. This helps this little boy receive his shots and many other necessities. And our money also supports his community by helping his family and providing clean water to his community. We’ve also given money to a friend traveling to Ethiopia to provide food for people in need. We donate money to the MS Society each year. We’re going to get involved in serving food at a homeless teen shelter. I’m sure we’ve done other things as well, but my point is not to brag about what we’ve done or who we’ve helped…my point is what more can we do? How can we reach out and help the most? What are other people doing?
I have to say, one of the best gifts I have ever received was when my mother-in-law donated money to a charity for my Christmas gift. She didn’t buy me anything (really, what else do I need?) but gave the money she would have spent on a gift for me to something that really meant something.
I think it’s easy to get caught up in our own little world. I gotta pay my own bills, I don’t have enough money to tithe (what? really?), I need another pair of jeans, I need to buy another toy for my child, etc. We are spoiled in America. My question to you is what are you doing to help the poor and the needy? Are you telling them about Jesus? Are you doing things for them so that they can see the love of Jesus? Are you sending money to a cause? Are you tithing and supporting your church? Or are we all just caught up in our world and concerned about providing for ourselves? And let me remind you that there are needy people all around us. Not just in some foreign country. What are you doing?
Love the blog post...this is something that has been on my heart a great deal this year. The more you lend your time and money the more realize how desperately people need help, big or small.
ReplyDeleteIt can feel over-whelming at times because the small contribution we make doesn't seem like enough all the time. God is obviously using you and Jeff right now and this act of service will lead to great things! Thanks for sharing your heart and giving people something to think about.
Good thoughts, Shan. I would love to have a little niece or nephew come into your home, and there's no doubt it would be the best home in the world. Anyone would be lucky to live with you and Jeff :)
ReplyDelete