Monday, April 16, 2012

A Heart Shattered by a Glimpse into Autism

I came across this article this morning and it brought me to tears. Although, Siahna hasn't been diagnosed as autistic, it has been mentioned several times in the last year and a half. Every parents wants their child to be "normal" and even for us, we wonder what Siahna's future will be like. Will she live on her own? Will she function "normally"? We believe she will but there are people who don't. This article touched me deeply because the writer talks about suddenly being transformed from a person trying to avoid the whole situation into a parent, filled with compassion and understanding.

Jeff and I have experienced this same feeling over the last month. A woman in our church had her husband pass away unexpectedly on a Sunday morning. She was jobless, looking for a job and her unemployment ran out that Sunday. No life insurance for the husband. No health insurance for any of them. She's on her own with nothing but a 7 year old daughter. We felt burdened to give because what if that was us? And, because Jesus commands us to look after the poor. It really struck home because Jeff and I are in the process of writing our will and making sure our life insurance is enough to cover the other person if something tragic happens.

There's a lady in my bible study group divorcing a mentally ill man. He still has 50% custody of the kids. I don't know the full story but again I feel compelled to offer childcare, groceries, whatever she might need as she goes through this season of her life.

The kids and I recently took food to my old school to stock the pantry shelves for kids who complain they are hungry. There are opportunities everywhere to help out those less fortunate.

I guess my challenge to you is to look for ways this week that you can help others. There are opportunities everywhere whether they are big or small. It doesn't always have to be a monetary gift, but it could also be time, a home cooked meal, a friend. What will you do to change a life this week?

No comments:

Post a Comment