Thursday, April 11, 2013

Changing Our Lifestyle

I don't know if we've watched too many "Doomsday Preppers" shows or what, but over the last year Jeff and I have slowly changed our lifestyle. Not because we're prepping for the end of the world, but because we 1) want to save money - living on one income means giving up some luxuries, 2) it feels great knowing you made something from scratch or with your own two hands, 3) we want to be more environmentally conscious.

*We have started composting - we bought the big bucket thing and have stuff in it in the hopes we're doing it right and it'll turn into dirt.
*We hope to use that compost to start a garden this spring.
*I made my own dishwasher detergent.
*I'm going to make my own laundry detergent.
*I made my own stain remover (like Shout, but much cheaper)
*I want to start canning. Anyone have a pressure cooker/canner they want to get rid of? And jars? :)
*I've been dehydrating fruit and making fruit roll-ups (that's a hit with the kids).
*I buy beans in bulk and cook them myself instead of buying canned beans.

Any other tips of things we could be doing in this new lifestyle of ours?

No comments:

Post a Comment