Monday, October 24, 2011

67+ Years of Love

Jeff, the kids and I headed to NE for the weekend to celebrate my grandparents 67th anniversary. WOW. Um, Jeff would be 102 and I would be 96 if we made it that far. I don't think that'll be happening. Grandma shared a little bit about their wedding day and it was so great to hear but also sad as most of the people at their wedding or in their wedding party have passed away. October 22, 67 years ago was a nice windy day. The wind blew her veil into her face and she got lipstick on her veil before walking down the aisle and that was pretty upsetting. Two of her sisters and one other friend were the bridesmaids. She couldn't remember what they wore but they carried big bouquets of flowers. They went to Omaha (from Lexington) for their honeymoon and had to save gas ration cards to get there because gas was rationed then. They rented a little home in Lexington to live in for I think $50/month in rent. And the guy they rented from asked if that was too much money! How times have changed!

My grandparents are so special to me. I dread that awful day when they won't be here anymore. I treasure each moment with them. I so enjoy their witty comments and look forward to getting letters from grandma in the mail and receiving money from her "Just Because" club! They are true examples of love.

3 comments:

  1. Oh what a sweet post! And how I wish you would have posted pictures with it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If only I took pictures, Becca. Collin did take some family pictures with them in it so I'll try to send some your way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Speaking of Collin... could you post an update on their life please? As the big sister, I think that is your responsibility! :)

    ReplyDelete