Monday, February 20, 2012

The Season of Lent

Lent begins on Wednesday and lasts 40 long days. Typically, you hear of Catholics practicing Lent (the giving up of certain types of luxuries - caffeine, sugar, desserts, etc). Jesus spent forty days fasting in the desert before the beginning of his public ministry, where he endured temptation by Satan. Lent, therefore, starts 40 days before Easter Sunday. 40 days you "give up" something so that during those times of temptation, times when you really want that thing that you gave up, you focus on Christ, his sufferings and prepare yourself for Easter and the celebration of his resurrection.

I've only practiced Lent one time. I gave up soda. It was a long 40 days but totally doable. This year, I jokingly said to Jeff that we should give up restaurants for Lent. We eat out a lot and it drives me crazy at how much we spend on one meal when that same money towards groceries could have provided multiple meals. Needless to say, Jeff took me up on that idea and we, as a family, are giving up restaurants for 40 days. So, expect more leftovers and home cooked meals from the Anderson household. And, maybe we'll even save some money.

Though giving up restaurants seems huge to us, it is nothing compared to what God gave up so that I could have eternal life. May this season of fasting fill me with more appreciation for the Cross than I've ever known.

1 comment:

  1. What a great idea. We eat out all the time too. I love the convience and variety... and no dishes to clean up. But it is so expensive.

    ReplyDelete